1-800-640-5323 info@EnviroVantage.com

Source: eHow

Mold is a fungus that grows readily on all sorts of foods. Mold occurs as the food begins to rot and decompose. The United States Food and Drug Administration says that some, but not all, molds are dangerous because they can produce mycotoxins, which are poisons that can make you sick.
 

Yogurt

Yogurt is a perishable food item that can easily harbor molds. Sometimes it’s not always easy to know if yogurt has mold in it until you taste it. Do not eat yogurt that doesn’t taste quite right. Mold might be visible on top and a smell can emit from the package once you open it. However, it depends on how much mold is growing inside. Sometimes you won’t notice any smell at all. You can avoid buying moldy yogurt by checking expiration dates, buying good quality brands and placing yogurt in the refrigerator as soon as you get home.

Cheese

The United States Food and Drug Administration says that the molds used to manufacture cheese are safe. Blue cheese is made with Penicillium roqueforti mold spores. These molds help create the cheese. However, different types of mold can grow on the cheese after you purchase it. Cut off exterior mold that grows on the cheese after you purchase it and keep cheese refrigerated. The new molds that grow on the cheese are not necessarily the same molds used to produce the product.

Beef

Beef is a type of food that can grow very dangerous molds. The United States Food and Drug Administration says there are many toxic molds that can grow on beef and other meat products. Some of the bad molds on the list include alternaria, mortierella and Thamnidium. There are over 16 dangerous molds on the FDA’s list. Always check the expiration dates when buying beef. The mold is usually visible, but sometimes molds are found inside the meat. Freshness is vital. Clean and inspect meat before cooking even if you didn’t see mold on the product at the grocery store, because molds can show up later. Throw away all meat that has even the smallest amount of mold on it.

Peaches

Peaches are more perishable than other fruits, such as apples or dates, because the peach has thin skin. This food is more susceptible to molds and disease. Always buy fresh peaches that are slightly firm and eat soon after the food is ripe. Allowing peaches to overripen can create an environment for mold.